Grow & Thrive
Jobs at the Y
Helping You Reach Your Potential
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members — of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences — enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Browse our open positions below. To apply for a job at the Y, please follow directions in each posting, and complete our Employment Application.
All employment opportunities with the Monroe County YMCA for either the Southeast or Northwest Branches will be posted here. Applications are accepted only for positions posted as open. Applications must be fully and correctly completed to be accepted and screened. All applications are subject to background checks. EOE.
To apply, please download the application, save it, and send it to the directed e-mail address as the attachement.
The Fitness Specialist is responsible for the development of fitness strategies and curriculum, as well as, providing instruction to clients and staff in Stone Belt’s Lifelong Learning program. This position will work closely with Stone Belt’s staff to ensure all aspects of fitness are addressed.
A Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Therapy, School of Public Health or similar field is preferred. Five year’s relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. Experience in designing and providing instructional services is preferred. Valid driver’s license, good driving record and reliable car availability are additionally required.
- Provides the schedule and structure for instruction/support, in the facility and at the YMCA in the areas of physical fitness, conditioning, movement, and sports.
- Provides for the health, safety and well-being of clients.
- Relates all pertinent information concerning clients’ health, behavior, program, etc. to appropriate staff, following all confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines.
- Maintains knowledge of client rights and protects those rights in all situations and at all times.
- Adheres to policies and procedures and completes required training.
- Reports suspicious and inappropriate behavior and follows all mandated abuse reporting requirements.
- Adheres to procedures related to managing high-risk activities and supervising clients.
- Delivers fitness instruction/services and provides support to other staff at a 50% billable.
- Procures and/or develops instructional materials for use by team members and other staff in the Lifelong Learning program who are responsible for delivering instructional services, which includes, but is not limited to: instructional guidelines, lesson plans for group/individual activities, and instructional sets when the Fitness Specialist is not present.
- Establishes effective relationships with team members, partners and stakeholders.
- Consults with supervisors and coordinators on client goals, objectives, progress tracking, and programming.
- Maintains inventories and orders needed supplies for instructional services, such as games, and equipment. Will notify supervisor when supplies need to be purchased.
- Maintains order and functional use of instructional areas. Requests maintenance and equipment as needed.
- Completes billing records and client objectives tracking information on a timely basis.
- Monitors instructional services to assure they are being delivered in compliance with DDARS, CARF, Medicaid and other applicable regulations.
- Attends team meetings and client specific training sessions as requested.
The Fitness Specialist must practice effective time management, including submitting a weekly itinerary of planned activities that ensures coverage of all needed tasks. Percentage of time will be spent at each facility. Priority of time is spent directly with clients, or on behalf of clients such as developing instructional materials and/or coordinating services with other Stone Belt or YMCA staff. Certification in CPR/First Aid, is required, as well as, completion of new hire orientation with both organizations.
- Ability to instruct individuals and groups in facility
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with a wide variety of publics
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other team members
- Ability to develop and implement instructional service plans to address the strengths, preferences, abilities and needs of clients
- Ability to follow through on commitments
Please note: This position requires annual reappointment and is subject to funding availability.
Please send resume and application to jobs@MonroeCountyYMCA.org
Part-time (minimum 8 hours per week) Mornings, Mid-day, Evenings, Weekends available
Under the direction of the Head Lifeguards and Aquatics Coordinator and Director, the lifeguard is responsible for providing a safe environment for all participants in and around the pool, preventing accidents and respond quickly to emergencies. Must possess current ARC/YMCA/Ellis/StarGuard Lifeguard Certification, as well as First Aid, CPR certification, and AED Certification.
To apply, please send application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part time, non-exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide safe and effective one-to-one personal training to program participants. Be able to guide, educate, and motivate participants toward reaching their personal fitness goals. A working knowledge of strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular training, with ability to pass knowledge on to participants.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Serving the member is our first priority, the purpose of our work, and the key to our success.
- 1. Prior to working with a client, you will be required to go through a Personal Training Orientation which includes reviewing proper protocol, completion of mock client practical, and written tests. This must be completed within 14 days of hire.
- 2. Call participant within 24 hours of receiving notification from Fitness Director.
- 3. Set up initial and follow-up appointments.
- 4. Explain how the personal training program works and what personal training options are available to members.
- 5. All programs expire 30 days (1-month programs), 90 days (3-month programs) or 180 days (6-month programs) from date of purchase.
- 6. Be available to train on an as-needed basis.
- 7. Remind members of appointments and inform them of our cancellation policy.
- 8. Check which options the member has signed up for and keep track of the number of personal training sessions that have been completed.
- 9. Be very familiar with and able to demonstrate all fitness equipment in the three weight rooms.
- 10. Design and implement exercise programs that are both safe and effective for members and that will help them obtain their goals.
- 11. Put all client files that are active in the file cabinet in East Side office and NW office. Give completed files to Fitness Director for filing.
- 12. Continue to sharpen and upgrade skills in the fitness field. Must keep certifications current!
- 13. Consult with Adult Health Director when necessary to help plan an exercise program.
- 14. Become proficient at both testing and planning an exercise program for members.
- 15. Document date, member’s name, and daily activity in client log (PT database) and also on clock-in space after each personal training appointment.
- 16. Model best practices for creating and establishing a team concept with fellow personal trainers.
- 17. Wear personal training staff shirt and name tag when personal training.
- 18. YMCA Personal Trainers may not utilize the YMCA facility or grounds for clients that are not YMCA members and/or have not purchased YMCA personal training packages.
- 19. Personal trainers are not allowed to recruit YMCA members as clients for their own personal training business.
- 20. Must maintain 3 clients.
QUALIFICATIONS: Degree in physical education health, or field related to exercise physiology, certification from the American College of Sports Medicine, related YMCA certifications, or certifications from credited organization. Must have a positive and caring attitude and willingness to help individuals achieve their fitness goals by implementing the YMCA mission statement and character development philosophy (i.e., caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility) into personal training.
E-mail application to email@example.com.
Play and Learn Care Team Member
Position Title: Play and Learn Team Member
Reports to: Play and Learn Team Leader or Coordinator
Mission: Play and Learn team members facilitate play in a safe, enriching environment. We help children develop social skills through positive interactions; physical competencies through gross and fine motor activities; intellectual skills through participation in games, pretend play, music, movement and language activities; and emotional competencies by feeling accepted and learning to accept others. We offer a safe, quality program as a member service, which supports families in their quest for health and wellness and gives children an environment in which to grow, learn and have fun! Our program is often the first contact with the Y that our very youngest members have. Without our support, many families could not use their memberships.
Entry Requirements: Age 16 or older and experience with children (infants, toddlers, preschoolers) and/or formal education in early childhood education. Exemplify and encourage the four character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility, and a willingness to carry forward the mission of the Y.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Mission driven (see above).
- Must work a minimum of two shifts per week (preferably a Tuesday/Thursday shift, or a Monday/Wednesday/Friday shift. 6 hours per week, minimum.
- Must take the following trainings: CPR, Blood Borne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention. Must take these within 30 days of hire and then keep them updated.
- Must possess and demonstrate the ability to engage in all activities associated with the daily care and routine of children of multiple ages, including but not limited to: interacting with children at floor level, movement activities, lifting children, reading stories, engaging with small or large groups of children, leading/directing activities for large or small groups, diapering children and helping with toileting as needed.
- Must possess oral, auditory and written communication skills appropriate for interacting with children, parents and other staff members.
- Able and willing to work as a team member.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds from floor to approximately 4 feet off ground (diaper changing table.)
- Must be able to sit on the floor, get up from the floor, stoop or kneel at child’s level.
Major Duties to be Performed:
- Arrive at Play and Learn 10 minutes before your shift if you are an opener. This will give you time to clock in, and set up the room before your shift begins. Other staff members should be on time. Your team members are counting on you!
- Greet parents and children by name when they enter and exit Play and Learn. If you do not know children’s names, please ask the parents.
- Actively engage with children, at the child’s level, in the room by playing, talking, singing, reading, pretending, crafting, etc.
- Be proactive in your movement around the room- observe children and go where you are needed most.
- Create a warm and positive atmosphere for the parents and children.
- Responsible for keeping children engaged in activity during their visit to Play and Learn by promoting and participating in positive play.
- Assist in planning, preparing, leading and cleaning up craft activities, games, stories or movement opportunities.
- Understand and enforce Play and Learn safety protocol.
- Attend all job related meetings and mandatory trainings.
- Assist volunteers by providing guidance and communicating Play and Learn policies to them.
- Promote a team concept through a positive approach to supervision, communication and interactions with others.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Play and Learn Team Members, Play and Learn Team Leaders and Play and Learn Services Coordinator.
- Manage program resources responsibly.
- Follow the cleaning schedule and keep the room clean and in good order.
- Keep the Play and Learn Team Leader or Coordinator informed of parental concerns and schedule changes.
- Demonstrate responsibility by following the child care schedule, consistently arriving on time for your shifts, and being proactive in securing your own substitute when necessary according to the child care scheduling and substitution request policy.
- Support child care team by being flexible in subbing for shifts.
Please send resume and application to jobs@MonroeCountyYMCA.org
Pre-School Sports Coach
The Monroe County YMCA Youth Sports Department is looking for a multi-sport coach for our 2-5 year old sports classes. The goal for our sports classes are to help young kids become comfortable in a group setting, learn basic motor skills, and start to develop a basic understanding of multiple sports.
Flexible, most hours are from 5-6 PM on weeknights and 9-11 AM on Saturdays.
- Passion for youth sports and working with children
- Background in sports is a plus (athletics, fitness, exercise science, kinesiology, physical education)
- Background working with children a plus (camp counselor, teacher, sports coach)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to pass background check
Serving the member is our first priority, the purpose of our work, and the key to our success
- Showing up on time to class and being prepared
- Interacting with parents and children on a daily basis
- Teaching and conducting classes in an organized, and fun manner
- Making sure you are outgoing and fun at every class
- Understanding responsibilities while the children are under your supervision
RN/Paramedic for the Healthy Hearts & Active Lives Program
- Monday PM Shift – 6PM to 7:30PM
- Tuesday AM Shift – 7:30AM to 9:30AM
- Wednesday AM Shift – 8:30AM to 11:15AM
- Wednesday PM Shift – 6PM to 7:30PM
- Thursday, AM Shift – 7:30AM to 9:30AM
- Friday AM Shift – 8:30AM to 11:15AM
- Saturday AM Shift – 7:30AM to 9:00AM
General Job Description
To assist exercise specialist with running of class to provide a safe, monitored, and medically supervised exercise program. To perform and be familiar with general patient care and education, public and physician relations, and some administration aspects of Cardiopulmonary Rehab/W.I.S.E./Y-Fitness For Life programming as directed by the Healthy Hearts & Active Lived Program Director or other superior staff member.
Preferred Experience and Knowledge
- Experience in Intensive Care, Coronary Care, or Emergency Department.
- Knowledge and Certification in BLS and ACLS.
- Understanding of cardiopulmonary problems and exercise.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with interpersonal skills necessary to relate positively with patients, their families, physicians, and ancillary staff.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle.
General Job Duties
- Charge nurse or medic in code situations.
- Monitoring of patient’s vital signs and EKG strips.
- Assess patient’s response to exercise.
- Check defibrillator, and O2, before each class time.
- Maintain Emergency crash cart items.
- Chart and keep updates of participants on a continual basis.
- Assist exercise techs with general class exercises.
- Must be able to move quickly in case of emergency.
- Must be able to move to the floor to administer medications and other emergency needs to victim.
- Must be able to move emergency equipment to area needed.
- Must be able to hear B/P readings on a variety of people of different sizes and heights.
- Must be able to see EKG and/or physical changes that would signify symptoms.
If interested, please contact Margie Kobow, Healthy Hearts & Active Lives Program Director
(812) 961-2175; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southeast Summer Camp Positions
Teen Leadership Program Supervisor
Must have previous experience working with teens and be able to follow and implement the YMCA of the USA Leadership program curriculum. Working directly with the Camp Coordinator, Teens in our LIT/CIT programs, and Camp Counselors you will facilitate between all as you work with the teens both as a group and in their individual Camp Group placements. This position will begin in June and last through the end of July.
The hours will vary between 10-20 or 25 hours a week, depending on the session of the programs. This will be explained during the interview. Pay is based on experience, and applicants must be 18 or older. Please submit application and resume to Annie Schaffer, Camp Coordinator via email, email@example.com.
Before and After Care Program Supervisor
The ideal candidate for this position has experience working with youth of all ages, and can lead staff in the daily running and organization of activities, following our policies and procedures. You will work directly with children, Camp staff and both Camp Coordinator and Assistant Camp Coordinator on a daily basis. Morning hours are from 7:00 am till 9:00 am, returning at 2:45 pm and staying till 6:00 pm or through end of the day closing, approximately 25 hours each week. Must be available all 5 days both AM and PM for consistency. Pay is based on experience, and applicants must be 18 or older.
Please submit application and resume to Annie Schaffer, Camp Coordinator via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Arrowhead Site Supervisor
This position is temporary full-time, with an hourly wage. Camp will begin after Memorial Day and last through the first week of August. Applicant must be available the entire time, with the exception of a pre-approved week of unpaid vacation time. Site Supervisor will work directly with the Camp Coordinator and Camp Director in the daily operation of camp, helping with daily tasks that involve supervision of staff and children.
Applicants should have previous experience in a day or residential camp environment, supervising children, and be able to work well with all staff. Communication with parents and families is a large part of a successful camp program, so applicants must be comfortable approaching parents with any type of information regarding their child at camp when the Camp Coordinator or Camp Director is unable to do so.
Camp hours are from 9 am – 3pm Monday through Friday, Site Supervisor will need to be available all 5 days from 8:30 am-3:30 pm. Pay is based on experience, and applicants must be 18 or older. Please submit application and resume to Annie Schaffer, Camp Coordinator via email, email@example.com.
YCCF Teacher Assistants
PART TIME -- (25-29 hours per week) Monday- Friday 8am – 1pm or 1pm – 6pm
Reports To: Lead Teaching Staff, YCCF Director and Assistant Director
The Classroom Aide is responsible for ensuring the health and safety of children, and with assisting with the academic, physical and social-emotional development of all children in their care, which may include infant, toddler and/or preschool-aged children in a teamwork-based setting. The classroom aide is responsible for assuring compliance with codes of all State and local governing contacting agencies along with all YCCF guidelines.
CDA strongly preferred, plus a minimum of 1 year experience working with young children required. High school diploma or GED required.
Ability to provide a quality, caring and supportive child care program to all families which includes addressing unique child care needs. Strong communication skills with children, parents, coworkers and supervisors to build trust relationship building. Ability to comply with all relevant regulatory codes. Must be at least 18 years of age.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Serving the member is our first priority, the purpose of our work, and the key to our success!
- Create a safe and secure classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of students that complies with the Center’s philosophy
- Actively engage with all children throughout the day on their level
- Establish excellent rapport with parents/family/caregivers through ongoing, open communication
- Set reasonable behavior expectations consistent with YCCF policies and philosophy and use redirecting and positive reinforcement to modify behavior when necessary
- Assist in organizing the classroom and maintain cleanliness of all materials and equipment while ensuring that the environment is healthy and safe for all
- Change diapers, assist with meals, and aid in toileting as needed
- Assist in activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving appropriate to the development levels of the children that embrace diversity
- Carry out approved daily schedule per teaching staff and administration
- Assist children in expressing themselves by listening and responding with open ended questions and comments that extend conversation and support the child
- Encourage and foster continued independence and self-care as appropriate developmentally
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical and responsible at all times and to all those you come in contact with
- Maintain a positive working relationship with other YCCF employees and supervisors by working cooperatively and effectively as a team member by communicating and contributing information on a continuous basis
All center staff must be willing to get a national background check (fingerprinting), drug screen, TB test and health screening.
E-mail application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
YCCF Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper
Part-Time: 25 hours/Week
8:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Monday-Friday
The kitchen helper/dishwasher is responsible for delivering food from the kitchen to the classrooms, then collecting and washing dishes. Our kitchen is our pride and joy, and one of the important reasons that families choose to send their children to the Y!
The kitchen assistant must be:
- Efficient and self-directed
- A team player
- Be friendly, outgoing and comfortable with children
- Must have high school diploma or GED
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen, FBI background check, TB test and brief physical.
Please send applications to jobs@MonroeCountyYMCA.org
Welcome Center Staff
Job Title: Welcome Center Staff
FLSA Status: Part time (5-25 hours/week), Weekend Availability is a MUST
Reports to: Membership Coordinator
Under the direction of the Membership Coordinator, this position is responsible for operating, maintaining and improving Welcome Center services and systems. The position serves members and guests, maintains member service control, answers the telephone, answers member questions and performs various clerical duties.
Serving the member is our first priority, the purpose of our work, and the key to our success!
- Performs front desk processes, policies, procedures and forms.
- Provides maintenance of member accounts.
- Exhibits excellent telephone etiquette and face-to-face interactions with members and prospective members.
- Provides facility tours.
- Provides excellent greeting members and prospective members.
- Gains proficient use of system software and cash handling procedures
Minimum Position Requirements:
- 0-2 Years of customer service experience including supervisory responsibility
- Proven ability in showing initiative, good judgment
- Ability to make decisions independently
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Basic computer skills
Key Result Areas:
- Promote the YMCA’s mission and core values
- Acquaint members with YMCA programs and benefits
- Develop relationships and promote building of team values
- Promote an environment that celebrates and welcomes everyone
- Be a positive role model by promoting best practices for member engagement
- Be informed and up to date on all policies and procedures
- Communicate effectively both written and verbally
- Respond professionally and effectively to frequent inquiries, complaints and suggestions
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
This position contributes to the overall success of the welcome center mission by providing outstanding hospitality and service to our members.
Please send application and resume to jobs@MonroeCountyYMCA.org