Health and Safety Policies
Let's work together to keep the Y healthy for everyone!
IMPORTANT UPDATE AS OF WEDNESDAY, JULY 22: Per the Monroe County Health Department Public Health Order issued on Wednesday, July 22, you are required to wear a face shield, face covering, or mask when using the Y facilities effective immediately. We encourage you to review the Public Health Order in its entirety here. Please refer to the details under our Masks at the Y section here to see how this mask mandate impacts our Y and its programs.
We're excited to announce we received approval from the Monroe County Health Department to re-open our facilities on June 1! We worked hard to establish policies in order to maintain a healthy environment for our staff and members. In order to keep the facilities open, it is critical for you to follow these policies. We understand that while not everyone will agree with these decisions, it is essential to follow what the CDC and our local health departments suggest in order to re-open.
We want to reassure you we have been in close contact with our Monroe County Health Department, Y-USA, Indiana Alliance of YMCAs, neighboring YMCAs, and other community constituents to determine best practices to re-open.
We are re-opening our Southeast and Northwest Y facilities in phases and will adjust our plans as needed per the CDC and Monroe County Health Department recommendations in order to maintain a healthy environment. Activities are primarily limited to individual activities or require participants to adhere to strict social distancing guidelines. The Y has implemented social or physical distancing practices in all operations during this phase by controlling the number of members allowed in the facility, re-arranging program areas and fitness equipment, and having trained staff in place to monitor and enforce all social distancing protocol and policies.
While this list is not exhaustive and is subject to change, the following policies will be enforced in order to help ensure the health and well-being of all of our staff and members once we re-open:
GENERAL FACILITY POLICIES
1. Per the Monroe County Health Department Health Order issued on Wednesday, July 22, all members and staff are required to wear a face shield, face covering, or mask while using the Y facilities. Please refer to our complete mask policies for more details.
2. The number of members and staff in the building and program-specific areas is limited to 50% of capacity.
3. Per our insurance company’s policy, all staff and members prior to entering the facilities must have their temperatures taken with a touchless thermometer and complete a questionnaire screening. If you have a 100.4 or higher temperature or are experiencing any COVID-19-related symptoms, you will be asked to please refrain from coming to the Y until fever or symptom free without fever-reducing medication for at least three days.
4. Before you visit the Y for the first time since we closed, you must sign an updated waiver per our insurance policy.
5. Staff, members, and vendors entering the buildings will be asked to sanitize hands upon entry and exit with provided hand sanitizer at the Welcome Center or in the lobby or locker room bathroom sinks.
6. Please adhere to six feet social distancing guidelines established by the CDC. Be especially mindful in smaller areas, such as locker rooms and Welcome Center lobbies.
7. Towel services are not available, so please bring your own towel from home if you use the showers or pool. The Y will still provide cleaning towels to sanitize equipment and frequently touched objects.
8. Limited lockers are available for use in order to encourage social distancing and minimize the amount of lockers that need to be sanitized each day.
9. We have increased the amount of hospital-grade sanitary spray available around the facility. As a reminder, you must wipe down any equipment with the green microfiber towels every time after use, which includes basketballs, cardio equipment, and free weights. After using it one time, please place the green microfiber towels in the yellow bins located throughout the facility so they can be washed and sanitized.
10. Please bring a water bottle from home to use the water bottle no-touch refill stations. Our water fountains will be unavailable.
11. Our complimentary coffee service station is temporarily unavailable at our Southeast Y.
12. Depending on the department, policies are enforced for staff members, such as staggered work schedules and virtual meetings, in order to minimize contact between staff when possible.
WELCOME CENTER POLICIES
- Plexiglas has been added to the Welcome Centers to create a safety barrier between our staff and members.
- The front desk gate remains open in order to minimize members coming into contact with it; however, members must still check-in using the automated scanner and their membership card or Y app.
- Decals are placed on the floor in the lobbies reminding members to maintain six foot social distancing.
- Furniture, magazines and newspapers, and children’s books and activities in our Welcome Center lobbies and other areas have either been removed or repositioned to encourage at least six feet in open areas.
POOL AREA POLICIES
- Only two swimmers are allowed to use each pool lap lane. Please enter and stop at opposite walls while sharing the lane.
- If you enter the pool area, please follow directional signage on the pool deck in order to prevent members and staff from crossing paths in the small walkways.
- Members must wear masks when walking on the pool deck, but masks are not allowed to be worn while in the water.
- Street shoes are not permitted on the pool deck.
- Due to social distancing best practices, our Southeast Y Aquatics Center adheres to the following max capacities: Main Pool: 12, Multi-Purpose Pool: 25, Multi-Purpose Hot Tub: 4, and Main Hot Tub: 2. The Northwest Y Aquatics Center has a max capacity of 25.
WELLNESS CENTER, WEIGHT ROOM, AND BASKETBALL COURT POLICIES
- In order to maintain six feet in between each cardio equipment and weight lifting equipment, select pieces from the Wellness Center and Weight Rooms have been moved to the basketball court and racquetball court at our Southeast Y, and select cardio equipment at our Northwest Y is out of service. Our cardio equipment sign-up boards at our Southeast Y are no longer relevant; each piece is first come, first served with a 30-minute time limit on each.
- We have increased the amount of hospital-grade sanitary spray available around the facility. As a reminder, you must wipe down any equipment with the green microfiber towels every time after use, which includes basketballs, cardio equipment, and free weights. After using it one time, please place the green microfiber towels in the yellow bins located throughout the facility so they can be washed and sanitized.
- Please bring your own yoga or stretching mats from home to use at the Y. If you forget, we have mats available upon request only.
- Group basketball scrimmage games are not allowed. Only individual use per half court will be allowed as long as six foot social distancing is maintained.
Here is how we actively prevent the spread of germs within our facilities:
- We use an electrostatic disinfection device, called EMist, that covers 80,000 square-feet within two hours. Please do not wipe down areas if you see a staff member wearing a blue backpack device misting areas within the facility. The mist must be left on the surface in order to allow enough time for it to spread across the surface and dry.
- The green microfiber towels in the Wellness Center and Weight Room, as well as our cleaning towels, trap bacteria and prevent it from transferring to another surface. We use microfiber towels instead of paper towels or cotton towels, which wipe around the germs rather than removing them.
- It is our Y’s policy for members to wipe down fitness equipment and weights after use with the provided green microfiber towels, so please adhere to this policy.
- All towels are bleached, and an ozone-generating disinfectant is also used.
- We use Virex, a hospital-grade disinfectant as part of our cleaning practices. The contact time for individual cleaners varies, so the most effective means is to let it air dry instead of wiping down a wet surface.
- It is our priority to disinfect our facilities to prevent the spread of germs, which we do frequently through the day and prior to opening and closing, especially in high traffic areas.
- Public entry doors, counters, tables, and light switches will be sanitized with Virex at a minimum of every two hours.
We strongly encourage you to take the following precautionary measures to protect yourself and our Y members:
- If you are coughing, running a temperature, or feeling sick, please stay home out of respect for your fellow Y members and staff.
- If you’ve been notified by the Department of Health of possible exposure to COVID-19, please do not use the Y for at least 14 days after your exposure.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. We also have hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the facility for you to use. Please wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER exercising, especially if you were handling exercise equipment.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Please wipe down exercise equipment with the hospital-grade disinfectant after use.
- Make transactions online through your Y account instead of at the Welcome Center when possible. This helps limit the handling of money and interaction.
- We strongly encourage you to wear a mask in high-traffic areas, such as when you enter the Y, use the locker rooms, or walk to the Wellness or Weight Rooms.
This pandemic is ongoing, so you are participating in activities at the Y at your own risk. Signage is posted throughout the facility reminding members to adhere to our health and safety policies. If you refuse to follow these rules, you will be asked leave the Y. Let’s work together to keep the Y a healthy place for everyone!
We hope to see you at the Y again soon. Thank you for staying with us, and we missed you!