Monroe County Y Re-Opening Plans
We can't wait to welcome you back to the Y!
We are excited to announce our Southeast and Northwest Y facilities will re-open on Monday, June 1! Like many organizations, the outbreak of COVID-19 has placed the Monroe County Y in financial strain. We realize we are not in a unique situation, and it’s been humbling to have so many members continue to pay their membership fees to support our services while our Ys remained closed. However, we’ve been forced to make several difficult decisions about our programs and facilities in an effort to sustain our organization. We want to be there for you and our community as we all recover from this pandemic, and the following updates will help us accomplish that as we take steps to slowly re-open.
Please note our temporary facility and program updates starting on June 1:
- Our Wellness Centers, weight rooms, basketball courts, pools, locker rooms, and tracks will be available; however, six-feet social distancing and sanitizing guidelines established by the CDC must be maintained.
- Specific policies for programs will be made available in respective areas once the program re-opens. Please note, not all programs will be immediately available as we stagger the start of select programs. Please review our program updates:
- Play and Learn will re-open for children ages 3-6 only. For the health and well-being of your child and our staff, please ask your child to use the bathroom prior to visiting Play and Learn. If a child’s diaper needs to be changed, the parent or guardian will be paged and asked to change the diaper.
- The Zone will re-open for children ages 7-12 as long as a parent or guardian is on Y premises.
- Healthy Hearts and Active Lives will be held under strict social distancing guidelines.
- Private Swim Lessons will be limited to children and adults who can swim without hands-on assistance.
- Our Swim Team will operate with restrictions, such as only two swimmers to a lap lane.
- Limited Group Ex classes will be held at the Northwest Y only for the time being.
- All Group Ex classes at our Northwest Y will be our included-in-membership classes only. All are first come, first served with limited class sizes due to social distancing guidelines. Our only exception is our Total Body Strength class, which will require registration. Please visit our website or download our app for the most up-to-date class schedules.
- If you are enrolled in paid Group Exercise classes at our Southeast Y and have a scheduled payment, we will stop that payment from processing. If you have paid in full, you will be issued a system credit for your registration.
- Select Group Ex classes are streamed live online. You can register for these select virtual classes on our website and app by looking under the "Studio" column to see "OR Vitrual" listed, which designates our virtual class options.
- Personal Training will still be held at both our Southeast and Northwest Ys as long as both the instructor and client either maintain social distancing or wear face masks.
- Summer Camp will be held at our Southeast Y only, starting on June 15. We are implementing new policies to ensure the health and well-being of staff and campers, which we will announce as soon as we finalize the details.
- Our Northwest Y and Gymnastics Center Summer Camps will not be held this year. Those already enrolled were issued a refund, and we encourage you to look at our day camp offerings at our Southeast Y if you would like a camp experience.
- The Gymnastics Center will serve as an auxiliary facility for Southeast Y programs to allow more room for social distancing.
- All Youth Sports leagues will tentatively begin in the fall.
- The Southeast Y and Northwest Y will have the following adjusted hours of operation with the pools and hot tubs (at our Southeast Y) closing 30 minutes prior to the facility closure:
- Monday-Friday, 7:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Pool hours:
- All pool areas at both Branches will be closed Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:00 pm. Starting July 5, the Southeast Y pools will now be open from 1:00-4:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They will remain closed from 1:00-4:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Northwest pool will remain closed Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:00 pm.
- Lap lanes will have an on-deck lane reservation to help members adhere to the policy of two swimmers per lane.
- Guest passes, Y Nationwide Memberships, or trial memberships will not be accepted at this time. Starting July 5, our facilities will be open to members from other Y’s who participate in the nationwide reciprocity program.
- Prior to entering the Y facilities, all members and staff will have their temperature taken with a touchless thermometer and be required to complete a short health questionnaire. If the recorded temperature is at 100.4 or higher or COVID-19 symptoms are identified from the questionnaire, the member or staff will be asked to refrain from returning to the Y until being fever or symptom free without the use of fever-reducing medications for at least three days. Please also make sure you complete our new Y Membership Agreement online or at our Welcome Center.
- Starting July 5, Youth Strength Training and Wellness Coach appointments will begin as long as both the member and staff either maintain social distancing or wear face masks.
- After-hours and outdoor rentals will be accepted starting July 5.
As we navigate through this together, here are some additional reminders:
- If you were a Sustaining Member and continued to pay your membership dues during our closure, you received a program credit to your account. In order to claim your credit, please visit the Welcome Center no later than December 31, 2020, and they will apply it to your preferred program. Thank you for staying with us!
- If you placed your membership on hold while we were closed, your hold was released on June 1 when the Y re-opened and your preferred billing method will be charged.
- If you have any questions about your membership, please email us at MemberServices@monroecountyymca.org.
We are continuing to work with our Board, Y-USA, local health departments, and other stakeholders in order to develop the best strategies for addressing these challenges. Please visit our website, Facebook, and Instagram, or download our app for the most up-to-date information.
We can’t wait to welcome you back at the Y!
Prior to returning to the Y, we encourage you to watch our re-opening video, which highlights several of our policy and procedure updates. We hope to see you soon!