Monroe County Y Re-Opening Plans
Welcome you back to the Y!
Or Southeast and Northwest Y facilities re-opened on Monday, June 1! Like many organizations, the outbreak of COVID-19 has placed the Monroe County Y in financial strain. We realize we are not in a unique situation, and it’s been humbling to have so many members continue to pay their membership fees to support our services while our Ys remained closed. However, we’ve been forced to make several difficult decisions about our programs and facilities in an effort to sustain our organization. We want to be there for you and our community as we all recover from this pandemic, and the following updates will help us accomplish that as we take steps to slowly re-open.
Please note our temporary facility and program updates:
- Our Wellness Centers, weight rooms, basketball courts, pools, locker rooms, and tracks are available; however, six-feet social distancing and sanitizing guidelines established by the CDC must be maintained.
- Specific policies for programs have been made available in respective areas. Please note, not all programs will be immediately available as we stagger the start of select programs. Please review our program updates:
- Play and Learn is open for children ages 1-6 only and as long as the child wears a face covering. For the health and well-being of your child and our staff, please ask your child to use the bathroom prior to visiting Play and Learn. If a child’s diaper needs to be changed, the parent or guardian will be paged and asked to change the diaper.
- The Zone is open for children ages 7-12 as long as a parent or guardian is on Y premises and as long as face coverings are worn by youth.
- Healthy Hearts and Active Lives is held under strict social distancing guidelines and as long as face coverings are worn.
- Private Swim Lessons are limited to children and adults who can swim without hands-on assistance.
- Our Swim Team is operating with restrictions, such as only two swimmers to a lap lane. You must wear a face covering while in the pool area; it must be removed prior to entering the water.
- Limited Group Ex classes are held at both YMCA facilities.
- Group Ex participants are required to adhere to six foot social distancing while participating in classes, and participants must wear masks until they are six feet apart from other participants. We suggest waiting until the Group Ex instructor removes their mask to determine it is safe for participants to remove theirs. Masks are required while going to and from classes and while using all other areas of the Y.
- Select Group Ex classes are streamed live online. You can register for these select virtual classes on our website and app by looking under the "Studio" column to see "OR Vitrual" listed, which designates our virtual class options.
- Personal Training is still be held at both our Southeast and Northwest Ys as long as both the instructor and client maintain social distancing and wear face masks.
- Summer Camp was held at our Southeast Y only. We implemented new policies to ensure the health and well-being of staff and campers, which were relayed to families prior to the start of each week of camp.
- Our Northwest Y and Gymnastics Center Summer Camps were not held this year. Those already enrolled were issued a refund.
- The Gymnastics Center will serve as an auxiliary facility for Southeast Y programs to allow more room for social distancing.
- All Youth Sports leagues will tentatively begin in the fall.
- Two players can use the racquetball court at the Southeast Y as long as masks are worn the entire time—both during play and at rest.
- The Southeast Y has the following adjusted hours of operation with the pools and hot tubs closing 30 minutes prior to the facility closure:
- Monday-Friday, 6:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- The Northwest Y has the following adjusted hours of operation with the pool closing 30 minutes prior to the facility closure:
- Monday-Friday, 7:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Pool hours:
- The Southeast Y pools are now open from 1:00-4:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They will remain closed from 1:00-4:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Northwest pool will remain closed Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:00 pm.
- Lap lanes have an on-deck lane reservation to help members adhere to the policy of two swimmers per lane.
- Guest passes are now being issued. Please note: Pick-up basketball is not permitted, and pool capacity and other rules must be adhered to. Our facilities are open to members from other Y’s who participate in the nationwide reciprocity program.
- Prior to entering the Y facilities, all members and staff will have their temperature taken with a touchless thermometer, be required to complete a short health questionnaire, and must wear a face covering. If the recorded temperature is at 100.4 or higher or COVID-19 symptoms are identified from the questionnaire, the member or staff will be asked to refrain from returning to the Y until being fever or symptom free without the use of fever-reducing medications for at least three days. Please also make sure you complete our new Y Membership Agreement online or at our Welcome Center.
- Youth Strength Training and Wellness Coach appointments are available as long as both the member and staff either maintain social distancing or wear face masks.
- Youth ages 7-11 can use the Northwest Y track at any time as long as a parent is present.
- After-hours and outdoor rentals are accepted.
As we navigate through this together, here are some additional reminders:
- If you were a Sustaining Member and continued to pay your membership dues during our closure, you received a program credit to your account. In order to claim your credit, please visit the Welcome Center no later than December 31, 2020, and they will apply it to your preferred program. Thank you for staying with us!
- If you placed your membership on hold while we were closed, your hold was released on June 1 when the Y re-opened and your preferred billing method will be charged.
- If you have any questions about your membership, please email us at MemberServices@monroecountyymca.org.
We are continuing to work with our Board, Y-USA, local health departments, and other stakeholders in order to develop the best strategies for addressing these challenges. Please visit our website, Facebook, and Instagram, or download our app for the most up-to-date information.
We can’t wait to welcome you back at the Y!
Prior to returning to the Y, we encourage you to watch our re-opening video, which highlights several of our policy and procedure updates. We hope to see you soon!