Monroe County Y Re-Opening Plans
Welcome back to the Y!
Our Southeast and Northwest Y facilities re-opened on Monday, June 1, 2020! Like many organizations, the outbreak of COVID-19 has placed the Monroe County Y in financial strain. We realize we are not in a unique situation, and it’s been humbling to have so many members continue to pay their membership fees to support our services while our Ys remained closed. However, we’ve been forced to make several difficult decisions about our programs and facilities in an effort to sustain our organization. We want to be there for you and our community as we all recover from this pandemic, and the following updates will help us accomplish that as we take steps to slowly re-open.
Please note our temporary facility and program updates:
- Our Wellness Centers, weight rooms, basketball courts, pools, locker rooms, and tracks are available; however, six-feet social distancing and sanitizing guidelines established by the CDC must be maintained.
- Specific policies for programs have been made available in respective areas. Please note, not all programs will be immediately available as we stagger the start of select programs. Please review our program updates:
- Play and Learn is open for children ages 1-6 only and as long as the child wears a face covering. For the health and well-being of your child and our staff, please ask your child to use the bathroom prior to visiting Play and Learn. If a child’s diaper needs to be changed, the parent or guardian will be paged and asked to change the diaper.
- The Zone is open on Saturdays for children ages 7-12 as long as a parent or guardian is on Y premises and as long as face coverings are worn by youth.
- Healthy Hearts and Active Lives is held under strict social distancing guidelines and as long as face coverings are worn.
- Private Swim Lessons are limited to children and adults who can swim without hands-on assistance.
- Our Swim Team is operating with restrictions, such as only two swimmers to a lap lane. You must wear a face covering while in the pool area; it must be removed prior to entering the water.
- Limited Group Ex classes are held at both YMCA facilities.
- Group Ex participants are required to adhere to six foot social distancing while participating in classes, and participants must wear masks until they are six feet apart from other participants. We suggest waiting until the Group Ex instructor removes their mask to determine it is safe for participants to remove theirs. Masks are required while going to and from classes and while using all other areas of the Y.
- Select Group Ex classes are streamed live online. You can register for these select virtual classes on our website and app by looking under the "Studio" column to see "OR Vitrual" listed, which designates our virtual class options.
- Personal Training is still be held at both our Southeast and Northwest Ys as long as both the instructor and client maintain social distancing and wear face masks.
- Summer Camp will held at our Southeast Y only again in 2021. We implemented new policies to ensure the health and well-being of staff and campers, which you can find outlined in our Parent Guide.
- The Gymnastics Center will serve as an auxiliary facility for Southeast Y programs to allow more room for social distancing.
- The Southeast Y has the following adjusted hours of operation with the pools and hot tubs closing 30 minutes prior to the facility closure:
- Monday-Friday, 6:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- The Northwest Y has the following adjusted hours of operation with the pool closing 30 minutes prior to the facility closure:
- Monday-Friday, 7:00 am-8:00 pm
- Saturday, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
- Sunday, 12:00-5:00 pm
- Pool hours:
- The Southeast Y pools are now open from 1:00-4:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They will remain closed from 1:00-4:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Northwest pool will remain closed Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:00 pm.
- Lap lanes have an on-deck lane reservation to help members adhere to the policy of two swimmers per lane.
- All members and staff must wear a face covering. If you have a temperature that is at 100.4 or higher or COVID-19 symptoms, please refrain from returning to the Y until being fever or symptom free without the use of fever-reducing medications for at least three days.
- Please complete our new Y Membership Agreement online or at our Welcome Center.
- Youth Strength Training and Wellness Coach appointments are available as long as both the member and staff either maintain social distancing or wear face masks.
- Youth ages 7-11 can use the Northwest Y track at any time as long as a parent is present.
- After-hours and outdoor rentals are accepted.
As we navigate through this together, here are some additional reminders:
- If you were a Sustaining Member and continued to pay your membership dues during our closure, you received a program credit to your account. In order to claim your credit, you must have visited the Welcome Center no later than December 31, 2020, and they had to apply it to your preferred program. Thank you for staying with us!
- If you placed your membership on hold while we were closed, your hold was released on June 1, 2020 when the Y re-opened and your preferred billing method will be charged.
- If you have any questions about your membership, please email us at MemberServices@monroecountyymca.org.
We are continuing to work with our Board, Y-USA, local health departments, and other stakeholders in order to develop the best strategies for addressing these challenges. Please visit our website, Facebook, and Instagram, or download our app for the most up-to-date information.
We can’t wait to welcome you back at the Y!
Prior to returning to the Y, we encourage you to watch our updated cleaning policies and procedures video and our re-opening video (above), which highlights several of our policy and procedure updates.