Wellness, Skill-Building, and More for Monroe County Professionals!
At the Monroe County Y, we are here to help build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. Through our Corporate Retreats, local business professionals can focus on their whole health and wellness and gain the tools to thrive in and out of the workplace. Our Corporate Retreats are free events that are open to the local community.
MIDWEEK MOTIVATION: Leadership Series at our Northwest Y
Guests enjoy a free lunch followed by a presentation to help professionals enhance their leadership skills. This series is free to attend and open to all local community organizations. Businesses can register as many guests as they like for a workshop.
The Dark Series is the newest series of leadership presentations. Being a leader isn’t always a walk in the park. There are inherent challenges to being the guiding force of your team. “The Dark Series” focuses on the science of feedback, the toxic nature of scapegoating, and how to counter the four faces of organizational danger. Sharpen your leadership tools to better manage sensitive tasks, unpack unconscious habits, and grow as a leader.
- The Art and Science of Feedback
- Though giving and receiving feedback can be difficult, skilled leaders recognize its key function in developing healthy relationships and facilitating professional growth. The paradox of feedback is that we desire to learn while simultaneously wanting to be accepted as we currently are now. Learn to navigate this tension to better yourself and help others develop as well.
- Avoiding the Scapegoating Phenomenon
- Effective leaders are aware of the impact of modeling desirable behaviors that they want to propagate throughout their organizations. A leader’s conduct impacts a web of relationships within the organization, and they must stay mindful of how scapegoating may emerge unconsciously as a result of their words and actions. Although scapegoating may provide a temporary remedy during times of crisis or conflict, it is a double-edged sword, as it depends not on truth and justice but on achieving a desired outcome.
- The Four Faces of Organizational Danger
- One of the challenges of leadership is to ask tough questions and communicate unwelcome news in a way that motivates others to confront the problem without punishing the messenger. Frequently, individuals will resist change, either intentionally or unintentionally, in order to maintain the current state of affairs. Leadership often necessitates disrupting individuals’ comfort zones, but this can be done at a pace that is manageable and comprehensible for all.
Our Midweek Motivation series follows the schedule below:
- 11:30-11:45 am: Lunch
- 11:45 am-12:45 pm: Presentation
- 12:45-1:00 pm: Q&A session or a tour of the Northwest Y
Registration is FREE, but guests must RSVP for the workshops they are interested in since space is limited. Please send attendees' names and email addresses and desired dates to Janet Stacy at info@MonroeCountyYMCA.org or call 812-961-2193.