What's New in Group Ex
The Latest News about Monroe County YMCA Group Ex Classes
Don't miss a single update by getting What's New in Group Ex straight to your inbox! Sign up for our email newsletter:
Dear Monroe County Y Group Ex community,
It’s that time already! Time for a new session. As we open up our Fall Group Ex Session (September 1-December 17), Group Exercise Assistant Lisa Weidenbener and I would like to express our gratitude for your participation in Group Ex this summer.
We realize attending classes throughout the summer can be challenging. We know summer schedules fill up so quickly with travel, sports, outdoor activities, and more! You all made time for our programming at the Y, and for that, we are so appreciative. We hope you had a blessed and fun summer, and we are so happy to have you back this fall.
We have exciting news for our Group Ex world! Mind Body Team Lead Lisa is here to make our official announcement:
Yoga + Barre + Pilates
With special gratitude to all our fabulous and dedicated members, our Y is excited to officially announce the grand opening of our new Mind Body Studio at our Southeast Y! In addition to all your favorite specialty classes, members can look forward to additional yoga, barre, and Pilates classes included in your membership! Join us for our GRAND OPENING during our Open House, August 22-27, and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, August 30. Come view the new space which includes a ballet barre, mirrors, beautiful custom cabinetry, surround sound audio, new equipment and so much more.
Open House Schedule:
- Monday, August 22, 9:00-11:00 am and 5:00-6:15 pm
- Tuesday, August 23, 9:00-11:00 am
- Wednesday, August 24, 9:00-11:00 am
- Thursday, August 25, 5:00-6:15 pm
- Saturday, August 27, 9:00-11:00 am
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:
- Tuesday, August 30, 10:00 am-12:00 pm
Lisa and I are thrilled about our new space for Mind Body programming and hope to see you at our new “studio-warming!” Though the end of summer is in sight, the Monroe County Y continues to bring the fun and the heat. I invite you all to come and have a blast, listen to music, move, learn, and SWEAT with our instructors. Bring a friend, a family member, or a coworker - the more the merrier!
Emily Abbott, Group Exercise Program Director
Group Ex Program Updates and News:
New Mind Body Programming:
- Core & Stretch - Wednesdays/Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays, starting Sept. 1
- Revitalize the body with this low-impact class available at both Southeast and Northwest branches and designed to emphasize stability, flexibility, and core strength. Get a great workout for the “powerhouse” of the body which includes the abdominals (upper and lower), lower back, buttocks, and hips, while also relaxing and releasing muscle tension with yoga-inspired movement. (This class is included in your membership.)
- Y Flow - Wednesdays, 5:30-6:15 pm, starting Sept. 7
- Explore the foundational principles and postures of vinyasa-style yoga at our Southeast Y. Y Flow is a set sequence designed to emphasize proper alignment, breath, and self-exploration while also cultivating strength, flexibility, and balance. Enjoy a full-body workout in a calming and soothing atmosphere. (This class is included in your membership.)
- Morning Wake-Up Yoga - Mondays, 8:00-8:45 am, starting Sept. 12
- Start your day at our Southeast Y with basic yoga poses, dynamic stretching, and breathwork. This practice will help you prevent, or work towards healing injuries through the promotion of joint mobility and stability. This class is taught by an experienced physical therapist. No yoga experience is necessary! (This class is included in your membership.)
- Family Yoga - Saturdays, 9:15-10:00 am, October 22-December 17
- Join us Saturday mornings at our Southeast Y for themed “Family Yoga” classes for children ages 4-7 and their caregivers. Games, stories, and basic yoga poses will be introduced, as well as concepts of compassion, cooperation, and gratitude. Don't miss this great opportunity to spend quality time with your little ones while having a blast! (This is a Specialty Group Ex class.)
- BattleStations 360: TRY IT FREE! Thursday, August 25, 12:00-5:00 pm
- See what you've been missing with this open house class! BattleStations 360 is normally a biweekly Specialty Group Ex class costing $25 per month, but on Thursday, August 25 you can try it for free! Drop in any time between 12:00 through 5:00 pm to try this multi-circuit Group Ex class. It takes approximately 30 minutes to rotate between each exercise station, which includes boxing, kickboxing, TRX suspension, and more! We’ll show you how to properly wrap your hands and provide boxing gloves if you don’t have your own. (This is a FREE drop-in style Group Ex class on Aug. 25 ONLY.)
- BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: Power Walking Plus - Tuesdays, 9:00-9:45 am, August 2-October 25
- Take your walking to another level by learning how to use proper walking techniques to improve your cardiovascular fitness, strengthen your bones and muscles, and increase your muscular endurance! There is no sign-up required for this class that will meet OUTDOORS on the Southeast Y soccer field. Potential rain or light rain (if it’s warm) will not cancel the class, but severe weather or strong rain will. Decisions about the weather cancellations will be made by 8:00 am. (This class is included in your membership.)
- Value-Added Arthritis Aquatics Returns to Regular Schedule! - Starting Aug. 1
- Cycling Classes:
- Cycle 45: Tuesdays/Thursdays, 9:00-9:45 am is BACK! - Starting Sept. 1
- Come take an indoor ride with motivating music and metrics! In these 45-minute classes, instructors will cue you through hills and valleys, high-intensity intervals, and endurance rides. Come join our indoor cycling community with classes available at both branches! Appropriate for all levels and participants can work at their own pace. (This is a Specialty Group Ex class.)
- More Cycling Classes are coming to our Southeast Y in the EVENING! - Starting Sept. 6 and 7
- Cycle 45: Tuesdays/Thursdays, 9:00-9:45 am is BACK! - Starting Sept. 1
- Zumba - Thursdays, 9:15-10:00 am, starting Sept. 1
- Zumba fitness is like no other workout you will ever experience! It is inspired by traditional cumbia, salsa, samba, and merengue music. People of all ages are falling in love with its infectious music, fun dance moves, and body-toning benefits. Join the party! (This class is included in your membership.)
- Fall (September-December) Group Ex Classes
- Registration is now open as of August 8 for Group Ex classes from September 1 through December 17. Please sign up early to reserve your spot for your desired Specialty Group Ex classes!
- Labor Day
- Please note that the Monroe County Y will be closed Sunday and Monday, September 4 and 5, in observance of Labor Day, and there will not be Group Ex programming that day. For more information about our Holiday Hours, please visit our website.
Dear Group Exercise Community,
I am thrilled to share with you all that this June marks the fortieth anniversary of service at the Monroe County YMCA for our Group Ex and Yoga Instructor Deb Hackman! Deb has kindly shared the following words about her journey:
"I started out as a lifeguard at the YMCA when I was in college. I have worked in many departments over the 40 years. I taught Swim Lessons and other Aquatic Classes, and I've been the Naturalist for Summer Camp for one summer and did other camp-related positions. I've worked in the preschool department, worked the front desk of the Welcome Center, taught active older adults, taught CPR training, and, of course, I teach yoga. I have done lots of volunteer work, including with the Girl Scouts, CASA, hospice, and at my church. Along with my husband, I currently enjoy spending my weekdays babysitting our two grandchildren, Brooks (3 years old) and Quinn (3 months.)" - Deb
Congratulations, Deb! What a blessing it is to work with Deb and all of our Group Ex instructors. Truly, this is a talented staff of hard-working, passionate, fit, and fun individuals who have been fabulous leaders and ambassadors for the Monroe County Y. It is also such a blessing to serve you all! Thank you so much for your continued support of our group exercise program, your feedback, and your participation. I hope you all have a wonderful summer full of warmth, blessings, laughter, restful days, fun in the sun, and fitness!
Emily Abbott, Group Exercise Program Director
We are HIRING!
Are you or someone you know interested in getting involved in teaching aquatic fitness? We are hiring new Aquatic Group Exercise Instructors. Join our team and receive a free Y membership as a Y employee! Please reach out to Emily Abbott at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this opportunity!
Group Ex Program Updates:
- Gentle Yoga - Mondays, 6:30 pm
- Gentle Flow Yoga is a class that allows you to move at a slower pace to deepen your practice and focus on each movement. This class cultivates strength, flexibility, and balance in a calming and soothing atmosphere. This class is included in your membership.
- Core Flow - Wednesdays, 10:15 am
- Energize yourself with this Vinyasa-style class that offers a full-body workout with attention to both strength and flexibility. This class weaves sun salutations, Pilates-inspired core work, and yoga poses in a breath-based flow. This class is included in your membership.
- Outdoor Boot Camp - Mondays, 6:15 am (August 1 – October 31)
- Boot Camp is a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) format that will challenge the whole body, mind, and spirit. Push yourself beyond your comfort zone and reap amazing benefits like boosted confidence, increased strength, better endurance, and more energy! You are stronger and faster and more powerful than you realize. See for yourself!
- Boot Camp will meet outside on the big hill near the path leading to the upper parking lot. In the case of inclement weather, Boot Camp will meet in Fit Room 1. This class is included in your membership.
- BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: Power Walking Plus - Tuesdays, 9:15 am* (August 2 – October 25) *CORRECTED FROM EMAIL
- Come take your walking to another level by learning how to use proper walking techniques to improve your cardiovascular fitness, strengthen your bones and muscles, and increase your muscular endurance!
- There is no sign-up required for this outdoor class that will meet outside at the Southeast Y soccer field. Potential rain or light rain (if it’s warm) will not cancel the class, but severe weather or strong rain will. Decisions about the weather cancellations will be made by 8:15 am each Tuesday* and will appear on our Group Ex Schedule. This class is included in your membership.
- Value-Added Arthritis Aquatics Summer Schedule (May 23 – July 29)
- Arthritis Aquatics Basic - Mondays, 3:15 pm
- Arthritis Aquatics Plus - Wednesdays, Temporarily Canceled
- Arthritis Aquatics Plus - Fridays, 9:15 am
- Paid Programming: Aqua Fit Deep ($) and Arthritis Aquatics Deep ($)
- Effective June 1, these two paid aquatic classes will be 50 minutes in length instead of 45 minutes. To compensate for the resources necessary for this increase in time, there will be a $3 increase in the class rate ($48 instead of $45).
- Indoor Cycling
- Enjoy cycling in the warmer weather! See you soon for additional cycling classes returning in the fall.
- Core Fusion - Tuesdays, 9:15 am
- The "core" is the bridge between the upper and lower extremities of the body and it helps control all movement. Come learn how to strengthen and stretch all the muscles of the core that connect to the core. You will increase mobility and stability, improve posture, and avoid injury. All fitness levels are welcome. This class is included in your membership.
- Aquatics Classes
- You are appreciated for your flexibility throughout the aquatic class start time transition to 9:15 am. In doing so, you have helped create a safer pool environment! Thank you for being examples of our Y values.
For any questions about Group Ex class offerings, please contact Emily Abbott, Group Exercise Program Director, at email@example.com.
Dear Group Ex Community,
Thank you all for weathering through this cold winter with us! We have been working hard to keep you warm and working up a sweat, and we are ready to spring forward into warmer weather with you!
I would like to express my gratitude to those of you who have reached out to share your suggestions and program feedback with me. I am happy to announce that we are able to accommodate many of these requests! We have a few AWESOME new beginnings to offer this spring, including new classes at our Northwest Y location. Thanks to your loyalty and support, our Group Ex department is growing, aiming higher, and rising above!
Now, who’s ready for some Group Ex fun in the sun?
Tuesdays (March 22 - April 26), 10:30-11:15 am: Come take your walking to another level by learning how to use proper walking techniques to improve your cardiovascular fitness, strengthen your bones and muscles, and increase your muscular endurance! There is no sign-up required for this 6-week class that will meet OUTSIDE at the Southeast Y soccer field. Potential rain or light rain (if it’s warm) will not cancel the class, but severe weather or strong rain will. Decisions about the weather cancellations will be made by 9:30 am and be posted on our Group Ex schedule. Weather permitting, the make-up date for a canceled class will be on Thursdays. This class is included in your membership. (CORRECTION MADE FROM EMAIL: Power Walking Plus ends April 26.)
New Formats and Additional Offerings Coming in April:
Cardio Blast, Mondays, 10:30-11:00 am at our Northwest Y: Come have a blast, get your heart pumping, and break a sweat with friends! Cardio Blast is a 30-minute class focused on cardiovascular exercise. This fun and fast-paced class will fly by, and you will be amazed at the work you can do for your mind, body, and spirit in just half an hour! This class is included in your membership.
Core and Stretch, Fridays, 9:15-10:00 am at our Northwest Y: This gentle class is designed to safely and effectively stretch, strengthen, and tone the body without stressing your joints. Core conditioning and body awareness will be emphasized. Come join us as we bring balance to both mind and body. This class is suitable for all levels of fitness. This class is included in your membership.
Power Pump, Thursdays, 10:15-11:00 am at our Southeast Y: Power Pump is a low-impact group exercise format that focuses on functional strength training. Strength training is recommended to help keep muscles toned and bones dense. Instructors use equipment such as hand weights, resistance bands, and stability balls to create workouts that are fun, appropriate for all levels, and provide a total body workout! This class is included in your membership.
Spring (April-May) Group Exercise Classes 2022:
- Registration for Group Ex classes for April & May is open! Please sign up early to reserve your spot.
- If you regularly attend classes that begin at 9:10 AM, your new class start time is 9:15 am, effective April 1. Thank you in advance for your flexibility!
Download our New YMCA Universal App:
Stay in touch with the Monroe County Y through the YMCA Universal App! Download the app in your iPhone or Android application store, and simply use your Y barcode ID or email address associated with your Y account to log in. You'll still be able to view our Group Ex Class Schedule and get up-to-date notifications about our Y. With this new app you can enjoy new features, such as connecting to your health and wellness apps to keep your fitness life in one place, logging your workouts, creating personal goals, and having fun with the Monroe County Y community in various Fitness Challenges throughout the year! Learn more on our blog.
Monroe County YMCA Group Exercise Family,
It is a true pleasure to be here with you all. My name is Emily Abbott, and I serve as your new Group Exercise Program Director. I hope each of you has been able to stay warm and stay active this winter; praying for lots of sunshine and fair weather ahead!
For those of you whom I have already met, thank you so much for your warm welcome and for helping me feel right at home. For those of you whom I have not yet had the pleasure, I look forward to meeting you. You can learn a little about me on the Y blog, and I can’t wait to learn more about you. Every person I have met so far has shared a piece of their Y story with me, and consequently, I have been receiving small pieces of YMCA history. I am proud to be part of an organization with such a rich history, and I feel blessed to have this opportunity to work with a team committed to providing fun and safe group exercise for our YMCA family and greater Monroe County Community.
Thank you again, and I look forward to all of the Group Ex adventures ahead!
Group Ex Program Updates:
BattleStations 360 (Mondays and Thursdays, Drop-in anytime between 5:30-7:30 pm) When the blue light is on… BattleStations 360 begins! Join us for a brand new, high-energy Group Ex class at our Southeast Y — perfect for those who have a busy schedule and are itching for something new. BattleStations 360 is drop-in! This means you can come in anytime between 5:30 to 7:30 pm every Monday and Thursday to cycle through your trainer-led workout! In this high-energy class, you'll complete circuits with battle ropes, TRX training suspension, boxing and kickboxing heavy bags, reflex boxing bag, rope pull, dip bar, and more. This class is $25 per month, and you can register online.
Power Walking Plus [Tuesdays (March 22-May 3), 10:30-11:15 am] Come take your walking to another level by learning how to use proper walking techniques to improve your cardiovascular fitness, strengthen your bones and muscles, and increase your muscular endurance! There is no sign-up required for this 6-week class that will meet OUTSIDE at our Southeast Y soccer field. Potential rain or light rain will not cancel the class, but severe weather or strong rain will. Weather cancellations will be made by 9:30 am each Tuesday and will be posted on the Group Ex Schedule online. Weather permitting, the make-up date for a canceled class will be on Thursdays. This class is included in your membership.
Core Flow (Mondays, 10:15-11:05 am, Thursdays, 5:15-6:00 pm) Energize yourself with this Vinyasa-style yoga class that offers a full-body workout with attention to both strength and flexibility. This class weaves sun salutations, Pilates-inspired core work, and yoga poses in a breath-based flow. This class is included in your membership.
Hatha Yoga (Mondays, 12:00-12:50 pm) This yoga fitness class teaches the traditional Hatha-style yoga poses that "flow" together while building strength and flexibility. Hatha yoga is a gentle and relaxing class that moves at a slower pace with an emphasis on pose instruction, alignment, and posture. This class is suitable for any beginners or advanced practitioners who would like to master their fundamentals. While this class is included in your membership, reservations are encouraged.
Pilates Fusion (offered in-person and virtual) (Wednesdays, 9:10-9:55 am) Pilates Fusion is a low impact, all levels mat-based class designed to create strength, flexibility, and overall total body conditioning. Elements of Pilates and yoga will be incorporated to achieve a balanced body and improve overall well-being. Flex bands, small balls, and Pilates rings may be used. This class is also included in your membership, but reservations are encouraged. To participate in this class virtually via Zoom, you must reserve a spot to receive the link to access the class.
Group Ex Spring Break Mini Session: March 14-20 - During Spring Break, we will have a modified schedule. Our paid classes will not be offered that week, but please visit our website to see the variety of FREE classes available to everyone!
Spring (April-May) Group Ex Classes - Registration for Group Ex classes for April and May will begin on March 7 at 9:00 am. Please sign up early to reserve your spot!
Memorial Day - Please note that the Monroe County Y will be closed Monday, May 30, in observance of Memorial Day, and there will not be Group Ex programming that day.
- Updated Class Cancellation Policy -
- We have updated our class cancellation policy for all paid Group Exercise classes. This does not apply to any included-in-membership classes since members are not required to register prior to attending. Please read the complete policy below:
- In order for the Y to continue providing excellent Group Exercise programming, the Y requires that program cancellations are sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two (2) business days before the start of a session to be eligible to receive a full refund. Cancellation requests sent after this time will not be eligible for refunds; however, in the circumstance the member is unable to continue classes due to physical injury, health reasons, or doctor’s orders, the member must provide a doctor’s note in order to process the cancellation request. Credits may be issued if the member is physically incapable to attend their program.
- After the session has begun, if the member attends the same class one (1) time or for the course of the first (1) week and is not satisfied, the Y will offer the member the opportunity to switch registration to a different program subject to availability or to receive program credit. Group exercise program refunds will only be offered to members in the form of YMCA credits after the start of the session.
Love Group Ex? Become an Instructor!
- If you’re passionate about Group Ex, you might love inspiring others by teaching a class! Plus, all staff receive a free Y membership! Right now, we’re hiring Aquatics Group Exercise Instructors. If you or someone you know is interested in applying, please follow the instructions on our website.
For any questions about Group Ex class offerings, please contact Emily Abbott, Group Exercise Program Director, at email@example.com.
Happy Holidays from Group Ex! During this special time of the year, our Monroe County Y Group Ex team wants to make sure you know how much we appreciate our members, and we thank you for your support and commitment throughout 2021. We wish you and your loved ones a holiday season filled with joy and a very Happy New Year! We also hope you’ll take advantage of our upcoming offerings.
Group Ex Mini Session
- From December 20-30, try out a Group Ex class for FREE during our Mini Session! We will be offering select water, yoga, and land fitness classes during the holiday season when regular classes are not in session at the Y. Our paid classes will still be denoted with a $ symbol in the class listings online, but during this time frame, you can try a normally-paid class at no extra charge.
- While all of the classes during our Group Ex Mini Session are free to members, our cycling classes require pre-reservation, which opens up three days before the class date. Visit our website to reserve your cycling class spot online, or let our Member Service staff assist you. All other classes are first-come, first-served, so arrive early to ensure your spot!
Group Ex Classes 2022: January-March 2022
- Registration for paid Group Ex classes for January-March will begin on Monday, December 20 at 9:00 am!
- We have some new offerings, so please view our website for a complete listing of classes and descriptions. You can register by using the Y app or website, or let our Member Service staff assist you in person or over the phone at (812) 332-5555 for our Southeast Y and (812) 331-5556 for our Northwest Y.
Fall is a season of change, and have things ever changed for the Y over the past year and a half! We appreciate your continued support and patience as we have expanded our Group Ex programming to bring back favorite formats and also add some new offerings:
- The Y will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 25. Classes that meet on Thursdays will not run that day.
- All other classes that week will be offered as usual, including on Black Friday, Nov. 26. Please note that our Play and Learn programs will NOT be open on Friday, Nov. 26. For a complete listing of classes, please visit our website.
December Mini Session
- Our December Mini Session will take place Dec. 20-30, and all classes will be FREE during this time. Our paid classes will still be denoted with a $ symbol in the class listings, but during this time frame, you can try a paid class free of charge. If you haven't tried one of our paid classes yet, you may discover a new favorite!
- The schedule will be pared down to allow instructors to travel and spend time with their families during the holiday season. Please view our Mini Session Schedule to see how you can stay healthy during the holidays and try something new!
- You never have to miss a workout with our On-Demand Library! The library continues to grow and will soon have over 60 offerings. If you can’t make it into the Y for your favorite class due to bad weather, scheduling conflicts, or traveling during the holiday season, just jump online and we’ll be there!
- Please view our website for a complete listing of classes and descriptions. You can register for Group Ex classes by using the Y app or website, or let our Member Service staff assist you in person or over the phone at (812) 332-5555 for our Southeast Y and (812) 331-5556 for our Northwest Y.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
The fall 2021 season is off to a great start! Our programming has continued to expand, and it has been wonderful to welcome new members to the Y and to see former members reconnect with friends.
As you cycling enthusiasts shift indoors, we have a lot of cycling classes from which to choose. Please see the current listing of all our Cycle-In Classes.
You can still access the daily/weekly class schedule via the Y app, but you now also have the ability to access our new system’s Group Ex Class Schedule.
You can stay in touch with Y happenings by checking our Facebook page daily. Any changes to aquatics classes and/or the pool schedule will be updated in a timely manner.
Please view our website for a complete listing of classes and descriptions. You can register for Group Ex classes by using the Y app or website, or let our Member Service staff assist you in person or over the phone, (812) 332-5555 for our Southeast Y and (812) 332-5556 for our Northwest Y.
And remember if you can’t make a particular class, you can check out our extensive virtual On-Demand Library, which provides you with a variety of class formats and instructors at your fingertips any time of day.
Fall is fast approaching, and we are excited about all our new additions to our Group Ex programming beginning in September! Registration will open for paid classes on Monday, August 16, and you may sign up for anything that is offered through December 19. We’ve listened to your suggestions and comments, and we hope you'll join us in these new sections and classes!
Southeast Y Offerings:
- Monday/Wednesday Cycle-In $ at 9:00 am will be a 55-minute class!
- Tuesday/Thursday Cycle-In $ is finally back! Join us for the 7:00-7:45 am class or the 4:45-5:30 pm class!
- Deep Water Arthritis Aquatics $ will now be a 2-day per week class on Monday/Wednesday at 10:30 am!
- Deep Splash $ will now be a 2-day per week class on Tuesday/Thursday at 10:30 am!
- TRX $ will be offering a new section on Mondays at 4:40 pm!
- RIPPED is still on Mondays but has a new start time of 5:45 pm!
- Level 1 Yoga $ will be offering a new section on Tuesdays at 6:00 pm!
- Power Pump will no longer be offered on Thursdays at 10:15 am, but there are three new class times from which to choose: Wednesday/Friday at 8:00 am and Thursday at 5:30 pm!
- Zumba will be back on Thursday mornings at 9:10 am! It will no longer be offered on Thursday evenings, but as mentioned above, Power Pump will take the 5:30 pm Thursday slot.
- Barre will be offering a second weekday morning section on Thursdays at 10:15 am!
- Core Flow (Thursdays at 5:10-5:55 pm): New offering!
- Gentle Flow Yoga (Thursdays at 6:15-7:00 pm): New offering!
- Mat Pilates Intermediate $ will be offering a second weekday morning section on Fridays at 9:00 am!
- Rowing+ $: New offering on Fridays at 10:15 am! This cardio-strength class will combine traditional rowing with TRX, weights, bands, and more
- Full Body Fusion (Saturdays at 9:30 am): Our usual Barre class is switching to a slightly different format! This fun, energizing class combines elements of fitness, Pilates, yoga, and barre to focus on cardio, flexibility, and strength.
Northwest Y Offerings:
- Core Fusion (Tuesdays at 9:00 am) will remain on Tuesday mornings but is moving to an earlier time!
- TRX Circuit $ (Tuesdays at 10:15 am): New offering!
- Yoga/Pilates Mix (Wednesdays at 9:00 am): New offering!
- Pilates Fusion (Thursdays at 9:00 am) is moving to Thursdays!
Looking to Revamp Your Workout Routine? Try one of our Mind-Body formats! From relaxing Yoga for EveryBody to energetic Barre, we have something for everyone. Mind-Body classes serve as a perfect complement to other Group Ex classes. You can try back-to-back classes (e.g. Cardio Flex followed by Bliss Yoga on Friday morning) or an alternating day schedule (e.g. Thursday Cardio Mega Mix and Friday Mat Pilates). There are endless ways to incorporate the mind-body connection into your fitness routine!
Not Sure Where to Start? Check out our newest yoga offering, Bliss Yoga, beginning in August on Fridays at 12:00 pm taught by Mary Yoke. Mary Yoke is an IU Bloomington and IUPUI faculty member, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, and a Kripalu-trained yoga instructor. Bliss Yoga is interoceptive, which means being in constant attunement with how your body feels. You will be encouraged to move into postures and stretches that best suit your own individual needs in the moment. This mindful and meditative practice is gentle and very healing, with numerous health benefits. Come be inspired to take the best possible care of YOU!
Can’t Make It to the Y During the Work Week? Come take advantage of our weekend offerings! Level 1 Yoga on Saturdays at 10:30 am is a basic-level instructional class that introduces the foundational postures and fundamental structure of a yoga practice. It is taught by four outstanding instructors who rotate Saturdays: Deb Hackman, Gayle Ebel, Gloria Estes, and Jessi Burchett. Once you feel confident in your yoga practice and want an additional challenge, consider moving up to our Level II Yoga class on Sundays at 3:30 pm, taught by Gloria Estes.
You can view and register for Mind-Body classes by using the app or the website. You can also let our Member Service staff assist you in person at one of our Welcome Centers or over the phone at (812) 332-5555 for Southeast Y classes or (812) 331-5556 for Northwest Y classes.
For specific questions related to Mind-Body classes at the Y, please contact Lisa Weidenbener, Group Exercise Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general questions about all Group Ex class offerings, please contact Maria Hamilton, Group Exercise Coordinator, at email@example.com.