What's New in Group Ex
The Latest News about Monroe County YMCA Group Ex Classes
Don't miss a single update by getting What's New in Group Ex straight to your inbox! Sign up for our email newsletter:
The fall 2021 season is off to a great start! Our programming has continued to expand, and it has been wonderful to welcome new members to the Y and to see former members reconnect with friends.
As you cycling enthusiasts shift indoors, we have a lot of cycling classes from which to choose. Please see the current listing of all our Cycle-In Classes.
You can still access the daily/weekly class schedule via the Y app, but you now also have the ability to access our new system’s Group Ex Class Schedule.
You can stay in touch with Y happenings by checking our Facebook page daily. Any changes to aquatics classes and/or the pool schedule will be updated in a timely manner.
Please view our website for a complete listing of classes and descriptions. You can register for Group Ex classes by using the Y app or website, or let our Member Service staff assist you in person or over the phone, (812) 332-5555 for our Southeast Y and (812) 332-5556 for our Northwest Y.
And remember if you can’t make a particular class, you can check out our extensive virtual On-Demand Library, which provides you with a variety of class formats and instructors at your fingertips any time of day.
Fall is fast approaching, and we are excited about all our new additions to our Group Ex programming beginning in September! Registration will open for paid classes on Monday, August 16, and you may sign up for anything that is offered through December 19. We’ve listened to your suggestions and comments, and we hope you'll join us in these new sections and classes!
Southeast Y Offerings:
- Monday/Wednesday Cycle-In $ at 9:00 am will be a 55-minute class!
- Tuesday/Thursday Cycle-In $ is finally back! Join us for the 7:00-7:45 am class or the 4:45-5:30 pm class!
- Deep Water Arthritis Aquatics $ will now be a 2-day per week class on Monday/Wednesday at 10:30 am!
- Deep Splash $ will now be a 2-day per week class on Tuesday/Thursday at 10:30 am!
- TRX $ will be offering a new section on Mondays at 4:40 pm!
- RIPPED is still on Mondays but has a new start time of 5:45 pm!
- Level 1 Yoga $ will be offering a new section on Tuesdays at 6:00 pm!
- Power Pump will no longer be offered on Thursdays at 10:15 am, but there are three new class times from which to choose: Wednesday/Friday at 8:00 am and Thursday at 5:30 pm!
- Zumba will be back on Thursday mornings at 9:10 am! It will no longer be offered on Thursday evenings, but as mentioned above, Power Pump will take the 5:30 pm Thursday slot.
- Barre will be offering a second weekday morning section on Thursdays at 10:15 am!
- Core Flow (Thursdays at 5:10-5:55 pm): New offering!
- Gentle Flow Yoga (Thursdays at 6:15-7:00 pm): New offering!
- Mat Pilates Intermediate $ will be offering a second weekday morning section on Fridays at 9:00 am!
- Rowing+ $: New offering on Fridays at 10:15 am! This cardio-strength class will combine traditional rowing with TRX, weights, bands, and more
- Full Body Fusion (Saturdays at 9:30 am): Our usual Barre class is switching to a slightly different format! This fun, energizing class combines elements of fitness, Pilates, yoga, and barre to focus on cardio, flexibility, and strength.
Northwest Y Offerings:
- Core Fusion (Tuesdays at 9:00 am) will remain on Tuesday mornings but is moving to an earlier time!
- TRX Circuit $ (Tuesdays at 10:15 am): New offering!
- Yoga/Pilates Mix (Wednesdays at 9:00 am): New offering!
- Pilates Fusion (Thursdays at 9:00 am) is moving to Thursdays!
Looking to Revamp Your Workout Routine? Try one of our Mind-Body formats! From relaxing Yoga for EveryBody to energetic Barre, we have something for everyone. Mind-Body classes serve as a perfect complement to other Group Ex classes. You can try back-to-back classes (e.g. Cardio Flex followed by Bliss Yoga on Friday morning) or an alternating day schedule (e.g. Thursday Cardio Mega Mix and Friday Mat Pilates). There are endless ways to incorporate the mind-body connection into your fitness routine!
Not Sure Where to Start? Check out our newest yoga offering, Bliss Yoga, beginning in August on Fridays at 12:00 pm taught by Mary Yoke. Mary Yoke is an IU Bloomington and IUPUI faculty member, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, and a Kripalu-trained yoga instructor. Bliss Yoga is interoceptive, which means being in constant attunement with how your body feels. You will be encouraged to move into postures and stretches that best suit your own individual needs in the moment. This mindful and meditative practice is gentle and very healing, with numerous health benefits. Come be inspired to take the best possible care of YOU!
Can’t Make It to the Y During the Work Week? Come take advantage of our weekend offerings! Level 1 Yoga on Saturdays at 10:30 am is a basic-level instructional class that introduces the foundational postures and fundamental structure of a yoga practice. It is taught by four outstanding instructors who rotate Saturdays: Deb Hackman, Gayle Ebel, Gloria Estes, and Jessi Burchett. Once you feel confident in your yoga practice and want an additional challenge, consider moving up to our Level II Yoga class on Sundays at 3:30 pm, taught by Gloria Estes.
You can view and register for Mind-Body classes by using the app or the website. You can also let our Member Service staff assist you in person at one of our Welcome Centers or over the phone at (812) 332-5555 for Southeast Y classes or (812) 331-5556 for Northwest Y classes.
For specific questions related to Mind-Body classes at the Y, please contact Lisa Weidenbener, Group Exercise Assistant, at email@example.com. For general questions about all Group Ex class offerings, please contact Maria Hamilton, Group Exercise Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.