Masks at the Y: Policy Clarification
Per the Monroe County Health Order issued on Wednesday, July 22, all members and staff are required to wear a face shield, face covering, or mask while using the Y facilities. Here is some additional information to help you prepare for your visit to the Y:
- Everyone three years of age and older must wear a mask when using the Y facilities. (There are specific exceptions listed in the Monroe County Public Health Order. Please stop at our health screening check-in table in our lobbies if assistance is needed.)
- Masks are required inside our Ys unless you are swimming or actively working out on a piece of equipment. Once you’re done using a piece of equipment, you must remain in the same place to cool down. You must put your mask back on before moving to your next workout station or around the Y.
- You must wear a mask while using the indoor tracks and while playing sports, such as Racquetball, Pickleball, and Basketball.
- Masks are required when entering and exiting our pool areas and when walking the pool deck. Masks must be removed prior to entering the water.
- Masks are required in our youth programs for all participants ages three and older. Our instructors and coaches will help children know when it’s okay to remove their masks during appropriate activities when social distancing can be maintained.
Mask Requirements in Each Area
Wellness Centers and Weight Rooms
In our Wellness Center and Weight Room areas, masks are required except when actively working out on a piece of equipment. Once you’re done using a piece of equipment, you must remain in the same place to cool down. You must put your mask back on before moving to your next workout station or around the Y.
You must wear a mask when using our indoor tracks since social distancing cannot be properly maintained when walking or running on the indoor tracks. If wearing a mask is incompatible, we encourage you to use our outdoor tracks or treadmill in our Wellness Centers.
Group Ex Classes
For Group Ex classes, you must wear your mask until you are positioned in the class maintaining social distancing. We encourage members to wait until the instructor removes their mask as a way to signify when it is safe to remove your mask. Masks are required when going to/from classes and throughout the rest of the Y facility.
You must wear a mask while playing sports, such as Racquetball, Pickleball, and Basketball, inside the Y facilities.
Members need to wear masks to and from the pool and hot tubs when walking the pool deck. Masks must be removed once entering the water even if you do not plan on submerging your head. A face covering poses a drowning risk if someone were to pass out or fall ill and unexpectedly be submerged. Please use a labeled plastic bag to place your mask in once it’s removed in the pool area. Bags will be provided upon request.
Lifeguards are required to wear masks while on the pool deck but must remove them if they enter the water due to an emergency.
Members must wear masks while using the locker rooms, and masks may only be removed while in the shower.
Play and Learn/The Zone
Children ages three and older are required to wear a mask in Play and Learn. Teens must wear the masks in The Zone at all times.
Children and parents are required to wear masks during the drop-off/pick-up times. Children brought without masks will be provided a disposable one to use for the day. During physical activity outside, the masks may be removed as long as social distancing can be maintained.